Do you suffer from bleeding gums every time you brush your teeth? Or perhaps you struggle with bad breath, tooth decay, or gum disease? If so, you may want to consider adding oral probiotics to your dental care routine. These special strains of probiotics are a natural way to promote good oral health and prevent many dental problems. In this article, we’ll dive deep into the world of oral probiotics and how they prevent bleeding gums.
What are Oral Probiotics?
Oral probiotics are live bacteria that are beneficial to your oral health. They help to maintain a healthy oral microbiome by competing with harmful bacteria for space and resources. On consumption, oral probiotics crowd out the harmful bacteria in your mouth and help maintain the delicate balance of your oral ecosystem. This helps prevent problems like bleeding gums, cavities, bad breath, and gum disease.
Benefits of Probiotics for Teeth and Gum Health
Oral probiotics offer a variety of benefits for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Here are some of those:
1. Promote Healthy Gums: One of the most common indicators of good oral health is strong and healthy gums. Gum disease is a condition which affects the majority of people that can lead to tooth loss if left untreated. Oral probiotics, when consumed regularly, help reduce gum inflammation. This helps prevent gingivitis, periodontitis and gum bleeding, which are common forms of gum disease.
2. Reduce Bad Breath: Oral probiotics can also help reduce bad breath. According to research, the main cause of bad breath is VSCs (Volatile Sulfur Compounds). Certain strains of probiotics work specifically to reduce these compounds which helps reduce bad breath. By consuming oral probiotics, you can help balance out the harmful bacteria in your mouth that contribute to bad breath.
3. Prevent Tooth Decay: Another benefit of oral probiotics is their major role in preventing cavities and tooth decay. Harmful bacteria in your mouth produce acid that can erode your tooth enamel and cause cavities. Specific stains of oral probiotics help produce antibacterial compounds which can help prevent tooth decay.
4. Strengthen Tooth Enamel: Streptococcus salivarius and Lactobacillus Reuteri can produce special enzymes which help neutralize the acids in your mouth. This helps prevent tooth decay which makes your teeth strong and more resistant to acid erosion.
Oral Probiotics for Gum Disease
To prevent gum disease, dentists recommend maintaining good oral hygiene and consuming oral probiotics. Gum disease takes two common forms – periodontitis and gingivitis – which can lead to tooth loss if left untreated. Gum bleeding is also a prevalent problem among many people which can eventually lead to gum disease. Researchers found that Lactobacillus Reuteri can improve symptoms of gingivitis and gum bleeding, while Lactobacillus Brevis may help to reduce inflammation.
How to Choose the Best Oral Probiotics
When choosing oral probiotics, look for products that contain strains of bacteria that have been shown to be effective in maintaining good oral health. Lactobacillus Reuteri, Bifidobacterium Lactis and Streptococcus Salivarius are some of the most effective probiotic strains for oral health. You can find oral probiotics in the form of supplements, probiotic mouthwash, like Riven, and lozenges. Always go with the product that is easy to use and fits well in your daily oral care routine.
To know more about oral probiotics and how they can prevent bleeding gums and gum disease, you can also check out the articles below:
- Best Probiotics for Periodontal Disease
- How do you Restore Good Bacteria in your Mouth?
- Discover the Benefits of Oral Probiotics for Teeth and Gums
In conclusion, oral probiotics are a safe, natural, and effective way to maintain good oral health. Owing to their special properties, they can help prevent many oral problems, like gum bleeding, bad breath, periodontitis, and tooth decay. With modern research and people’s positive feedback oral probiotics and probiotic mouthwashes are becoming an increasingly popular oral care solution. However, these are not a replacement but rather a supplement to traditional oral care routines. In addition, regular visits to your dentist along with brushing and flossing and using a probiotic mouthwash, like Riven, makes the perfect oral care routine for your teeth and gums.